Whether your call it Mint Oreo Ice Cream or Mint Chip Ice Cream, this is the purest, most minty ice cream you will ever eat! Reap the health benefits of peppermint essential oil by including it in this stellar ice cream!
With Saint Patrick’s Day rapidly approaching, the internet is exploding with recipes for mint flavored treats. I wholeheartedly agree with this explosion, as I am a Mint Lover. With a capital M and a capital L. When I was a child, my favorite flavor of ice cream was “Starlight Mint.” I think that is the Utah name for mint ice cream. So it is no surprise that the first ice cream flavor I attempted when I got my ice cream maker was mint. Since I added Oreos, you could technically call it “Mint Oreo Ice Cream.”
But this mint ice cream is not your normal mint ice cream. This ice cream is so minty it will knock your socks off. It will clean out your sinuses. It will make you feel healthy and give you the best breath you have ever had in your life. That’s because this ice cream is made with peppermint essential oil rather than peppermint extract. (You can still use extract, but you won’t get the same intensity of flavor or the health benefits). DoTERRA peppermint essential oil is approved for internal use, so you can safely put it in your ice cream. (Not all brands of essential oil are approved for internal use, so be sure that the kind you are using is safe before adding it to your ice cream or any other food).
Another reason I love this ice cream is because it is so fast to make. There is nothing to heat, bake, or chill. You can just whip it up and add it to your ice cream maker. I love to add broken Oreos to my mint ice cream, although you could also add shaved chocolate (to make Mint Chip Ice Cream), or just leave it plain. No way you can go wrong with this recipe, though. Try it. You’ll love it.
Time Commitment: Low
Health Benefits of Ingredients: (Please see the Disclaimer)
Peppermint has been effective in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome, prevent and treat headaches, and improve respiratory health by acting as a decongestant and expectorant. (See “Peppermint: Health Benefits, Precautions“).
I recommend the Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 15 drops DoTERRA essential peppermint oil or 1-2 tsp. peppermint extract, to taste
- 10 Oreo cookies broken in pieces (optional)
- 2 drops green food coloring optional
- Mix the milk and sugar with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the whipping cream and the peppermint oil or extract. Stir and add the food coloring (if desired).
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions.
- When ice cream has reached soft-serve consistency, remove from ice cream maker, transfer to an airtight container, and fold in broken Oreo pieces (if desired). (Don't just dump crushed cookies in the ice cream, or crumbs will get everywhere. I drop the Oreo pieces in by hand to avoid the crumb problem).
- Freeze for several hours, or overnight.