From Adam and Eve sprang the family of the whole earth. From Vanilla and Chocolate spring the family of all ice cream. (Well, not technically, but just go with me here). But may I be so bold as to say that without the existence of chocolate, vanilla would not be complete. They are a pair, meant to be together–decreed by the cosmos (or something like that). In any case, Classic Chocolate Ice Cream is an essential flavor to have in your repertoire.
Time Commitment: Medium
Health Benefits of Ingredients: (Please see the Disclaimer)
Chocolate has been shown in studies to lower cholesterol, improve blood pressure, prevent memory decline, reduce heart disease, and prevent stroke. (See What are the Health Benefits of Chocolate?)
I recommend the Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces bitter-sweet or semi-sweet chocolate broken in pieces (slightly more than a cup of chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a blender or food processor, add the sugar and chocolate pieces and pulse to process until the chocolate is very finely chopped.
- In the microwave or on the stove, heat the whole milk until just bubbling around the edges.
- Add the hot milk to the chocolate and sugar in the blender and process until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a medium-sized bowl and let cool completely.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla and chill for 30 minutes or longer.
- Add to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Then transfer to an airtight container and freeze for several hours.