This Sheet Pan Pesto Ranch Chicken and Potatoes dinner could not be easier or more delicious!
If you have not yet tried a sheet pan dinner, you must. Your life will never be the same. And just like my Sheet Pan Thai Chicken and Peppers with Peanut Ginger Sauce, this Italian take on chicken and potatoes does not disappoint.
I got the idea for this from the Roasted Pesto Bacon Potatoes recipe on Carlsbad Cravings. I have made these potatoes several times (sans the bacon) and my kids LOVE them! I figured I could make the same sauce and spread it on some chicken breasts as well as potatoes, throw them all on a pan, and get something really special.
When we make Italian food at home, most of us just get a jar of spaghetti sauce and call it good. (This is no good. You should make my Perfect Pasta Sauce instead. Sorry to be so bossy). If we get fancy, we might use Alfredo Sauce. (Again, please don’t use the stuff in the jar!) But if we want to be REALLY fancy, we use pesto. (You can get my pesto recipe here). Unlike my snobbery concerning other pasta sauces, I’m o.k. if you use pesto sauce from a jar. I use the pesto sauce from Costco.
All you do is mix the pesto sauce with some ranch seasoning and a few more tasty spices, and voila! Your topping is done.
To prepare this dinner, you can use russet potatoes or red potatoes. I used russet and peeled them. If you use red, don’t peel them. (You can also leave the skins on the russets if you desire). You use half the sauce for the potatoes, and the other half for the chicken.
You’re going to cut your potatoes into about 1-inch chunks. Then you’ll put them into a large bowl and stir in half of the sauce. Let those sit for just a bit while you prepare the pan and the chicken.
Get a large sheet pan and either spray it with cooking spray, or cover with tin foil or parchment. (If you use tin foil, also spray it lightly).
Place your chicken breasts on the pan, and then spread the other half of the pesto sauce over the breasts.
Sprinkle the potatoes around the chicken and spread out evenly. Then just pop the pan into a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.
I served this to a dinner guest this past week, and she said, “Is this going to be on the blog?” I answered. “Yes. Yes indeed.”
- 3-4 chicken breasts patted dry
- 2 lbs. russet or red potatoes peeled or unpeeled, and cut into approximately 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. dry Ranch seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the pesto, olive oil, Ranch seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Remove half of the combination and put it in a small bowl.
- Place cut potatoes into the bowl with the pesto and carefully stir until the pesto combination evenly coats the potatoes.
- Lightly grease a large sheet pan. (Use cooking spray, or you can also put tin foil or parchment paper in the pan).
- Place your chicken breasts on the pan and spread the reserved half of the pesto combination over the top and sides.
- Pour the potatoes on the pan around the chicken, evenly distributing them on the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Loosen the potatoes from the pan. You can serve directly from the pan, or plate the chicken and potatoes separately to put on the table.
These sides go perfectly with this Sheet Pan Pesto Ranch Chicken and Potatoes!