They are known by many names. Scotcheroos. Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Bars. Peanut Butter Crispy Bars. No matter what you call them, this crunchy, sweet, chocolate, peanut butter and butterscotch treat is super easy to make and completely addicting! (Don’t say I didn’t warn you!)
I could eat these all day long. There would be consequences, of course. But man, it’s SO tempting!
These classic Scotcheroos are made with only six ingredients, and are a perfect no-bake treat for practically every occasion.
Ingredients for Scotcheroos/Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
Here’s what you need for this delectable treat:
- Light corn syrup
- Peanut Butter
- Rice Krispies
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
Can You Use Other Types of Cereal in Scotcheroos?
Yes! I’ve seen these made with Cheerios, Corn Flakes, and Special K.
If you do choose another cereal, I would make sure to use one with a neutral flavor. For example, I can’t imagine that Fruity Pebbles would work well here. The flavors just wouldn’t meld with the peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch.
How to Make Scotcheroos/Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
First, just put some creamy peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Stir it all until it gets hot and smooth. Then take it off the heat, add all the Rice Krispies, and stir.
Next, press it into a 9×9 un-greased pan.
Once your bars are nicely and evenly pressed into the pan, melt your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together and pour them over the top. Spread them around using swirly motions. (The swirly motions are optional). Then just wait an hour, cut, and enjoy!
How to get Scotcheroos/Peanut Butter Crispy Bars not to stick to your hands
There are several ways to press these into the pan without having the gooey mix stick to your hands. (These methods also work well with regular Rice Krispy Treats).
- Put the pan next to the sink. Wet your fingers and quickly press down. If the mixture starts sticking, wet your fingers again.
- Lightly spray your hands with cooking spray and press down.
- Coat one side of plastic wrap with cooking spray and press the wrap down on top of the mixture in the pan.
- Use a spatula coated with cooking spray to press down.
There you go! Kids and adults alike go NUTS for this treat! Good luck getting them to last long!
(This recipe can easily be doubled to fit a 9×13 pan. This recipe first appeared on Yellow Bliss Road, where I am a contributor).
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal like Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Mix the corn syrup, peanut butter, and sugar together in a large pan over medium heat.
- Heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the crisp rice cereal. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Press into an un-greased 9x9 pan.
- Melt butterscotch chips and chocolate chips together and spread over the crispy rice and peanut butter mixture.
- Let set for one hour before cutting.
Pin me! And be sure to visit The Cookie Jar for more great recipes!