If you want to declutter but you’re afraid of having to part with too much stuff, this post is for you! How much do you really need to part with? Find out what a professional organizer has to say.
Decluttering and organizing is huge these days, thanks to Marie Kondo and others who have helped us wake up to the fact that we simply have too much stuff.
All of that stuff is negatively affecting our lives by causing, depression, anxiety, weight gain, confusion, and overwhelm.
So you want to declutter, but sometimes just the thought of it is giving you anxiety.
Many people want to know, “How much will I need to get rid of?” They’re afraid of donating too much, or not enough.
Some people really just want a guideline to know if they are doing it “right.”
While there is no one answer that will fit everyone, I do believe there is a general rule of thumb we could all follow, especially if we are new to this decluttering thing and have never done it before.
Look at the first red item on the right-hand side of this graphic.
It says that 80% of what we keep, we never use. Sounds shocking, right?
Can that really be true?
Well, think about everything that is currently in your closet. Chances are, you wear the same 20% over and over, while the other 80% just takes up space.
What about your kitchen and all those gadgets and appliances that you never use. (No, every kitchen does not need a Chinese wok. I got rid of mine after years and years of keeping it for no reason).
So does that mean you should get of 80% of what you own?
If the very thought makes you sweat and gives you heart palpitations, don’t worry. As a professional organizer, I don’t recommend that you get rid of this much.
My general rule of thumb is to aim for trashing or donating 50% of your current belongings.
Just imagine how much cleaner your house would be if 50% of the things inside it were gone! That makes my heart beat faster, in a good way!
So start today with something small. It could be your bathroom countertop. (This post will tell you how to do it!)
It could just be your pants drawer. (Go here to get access to a video that shows you how to fold your pants!)
Little changes can have great effects!
And by getting rid of half of your household items, you’re also reducing your housework by almost half! Who doesn’t want that?
There are so many reasons to declutter and organize, and no good reasons NOT to get started. Make a commitment today!
Before you jump right in, though, you need to know which mistakes to avoid. I’ve created a short guide that will help you sidestep pitfalls. Download it here!