Vegan Root Tacos, made with all your favorite roots roasted to perfection, and then stuffed into corn tortillas with guacamole!
One of my daughters is allergic to seemingly everything. It has taken years to find recipes that she likes, and that the family likes as well.
These vegan tacos are SO DELICIOUS (shockingly tasty) that everyone in my family loves them!
They are super easy to prepare, and chock-full of vitamins and healthy stuff.
Ingredients for Vegan Root Tacos
Your favorite root vegetables
We love using sweet potatoes, beets, and parsnips. (If you’ve never tried parsnips, you are in for a treat!) You could also use carrots or potatoes in these tacos.
This helps the veggies become crispy, and not stick to your baking sheet.
Don’t leave out the sriracha sauce! It adds amazing flavor. The amount I have in this recipe doesn’t make the tacos spicy–it just adds nice flavor.
Kosher salt, onion powder, and garlic powder
These spices bring out the natural sweetness of your root vegetables.
(Optional: corn meal or harina preparada)
If you want a little extra crunch, you can add corn meal or harina preparada. You can find harina preparada in the Mexican section of your grocery store. Keep in mind that it has milk in it, so if you use it, these tacos technically won’t be vegan any more. It also contains wheat flour, so they also won’t be gluten-free.
These provide the perfect flavor combo for these tacos. To make them more pliable (and less likely to crack and break), fry them in some hot oil for a few seconds on each side.
How to make Vegan Root Tacos
First, chop your vegetables into 1/2-inch sized squares. In these pictures, I’ve cut them smaller, which means I baked them for less time.
Now cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle some olive oil over your root veggies, add the Sriracha and spices, and stir.
If you want to add some cornmeal or harina preparada, now is the time to do it.
Pour everything out onto your parchment-lined cookie sheet and spread out the vegetables as much as you can.
Now bake in a 425-degree F. oven for 30-45 minutes (depending on the size of your vegetable pieces), flipping half way through.
When you take them out, they will look all toasty with slightly browned edges.
Get your corn tortillas and add your root vegetables, along with any condiments you like! I added cilantro and guacamole.
You’re going to love these vegan root tacos! I guarantee it!
Check out these great sides to serve with these tacos!
- 1 1/2 pounds root vegetables, like sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, beets, or russet potatoes. (I like to use 3 parsnips, one sweet potato, and one beet).
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- (Optional: 1/4 cornmeal or harina preparada)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop your vegetables into 1/2-inch sized cubes. If desired, cut into 1-centimeter sized cubes.
- Put all your chopped vegetables into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, Sriracha sauce, kosher salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well. If desired, add the cornmeal or harina preparada and mix well.
- Pour out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread vegetables out as much as possible.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes (30 minutes for smaller cubes, 45 minutes for larger cubes), stirring and flipping half way through the baking time.
- If desired, briefly fry both sides of your corn tortillas in hot oil in a frying pan to make them more pliable.
- Stuff the corn tortillas with the roasted vegetables. Top with any desired condiments and eat!