Once you decide which items of clothing to keep, you need to either hang them, or fold and store them properly. For your blouses and button-up tops that need to be hung, hang them in your closet from left to right with the longest ones being on the left.
For cotton and knit tops that need to be folded, Mari suggests a specific way to fold and store them. Instead of stacking them on top of each other, she says we should stand them on their sides, like books.
The way I fold tops is a little different than explained in the book or other online videos, especially for long-sleeved shirts. This is my basic method:
1. Lay your top on a flat surface (your bed, the floor, or a table) face-down.
2. Fold one side in toward the center (about a quarter of the-way to the center). Then fold the other side in toward the center. If the top has short sleeves, they may overlap a little, but that is o.k.
3. Fold the bottom of the shirt up to the top. Then continue to fold it as many times as you need to—in half or thirds—until it is the right height to fit in your drawer, standing up.
4. If the shirt has long sleeves, fold one side of the shirt in about a quarter-way to the center. The long sleeve will be stretched straight out over the back of the shirt.
5. Grab the bottom and the top of the long sleeve. Holding the top of the sleeve at the edge of the shirt, take the bottom and and fold it back so that the length of the sleeve lines up along the length of the shirt. At the top, there should be a diagonal line where you have folded the sleeve back.
6. Do the same to the other side. Then fold the shirt in half, then in half or in thirds again.
I gathered all my tops and spread them on my bed. I was shocked by how many I had! Almost 80!
When I was done sorting, hanging and folding, this is what my shirt drawer looked like. It is a thing of beauty for a Type 4 like myself. I got rid of half of my tops, and I feel like I accomplished something worthwhile!
And please subscribe! When you subscribe , you will receive my Ordered Checklist for an organized home, plus other surprise freebies you don’t want to miss! (I’ll email you the checklist and surprise bonus items when you confirm your subscription. But as soon as you subscribe, you’ll get to see my famous pants folding video!)