In less than a month, the long-awaited Star Wars movie opens. There has been a great amount of secrecy concerning this movie. Fans are eager to find out exactly what has happened to Luke, Leia, and Han Solo. A whole slew of new characters will be introduced, and as long as one of them is not the great, great grandson of Jar Jar Binks, odds are that we will like them.
A few months ago, we introduced our girls to the Star Wars franchise. We spent a month and a half watching a Star Wars movie every weekend. They loved them! My oldest daughter really got into the movies, yelling at the characters when they made a wrong choice, or getting excited when the good guys were winning.
Here are the top ten reasons I love the Star Wars movies:
- No bad language. When so many movies these days are throwing in the “F” word just to get a PG-13 rating (which makes me SO MAD), it is so nice to know that my kids can safely watch any movie in this series and not be exposed to horrible, vile swearing.
- No sex or innuendo. Again, I love that these movies are clean and that I don’t have to worry about my kids seeing anything inappropriate (except for maybe Leia’s unfortunate getup when chained by super nasty Jabba the Hutt).
- Hilarious lines. I love it when the young Obi Wan Kenobi visits a bar and sits next to a patron who tries to sell him “death sticks.” The man says, “You want to buy some death sticks?” Obi Wan casually waves his hand and says, “You don’t want to sell me death sticks,” after which the dazed purveyor says uncertainly, “I don’t want to sell you death sticks.” Obi Wan continues: “You want to go home and re-think your life.” The man, obviously under the influence of the “force” says, “I want to go home and re-think my life.”
- Amazing special effects and visuals. You have to admit that even the special effects of the old movies are pretty awesome for the late 70s. In the new movies, I love the city-scapes and the waterfalls and gorgeous scenery (whether real or computer-generated).
- The imagination of the future. I am seriously waiting for when flying cars become a real thing. That would be so awesome. And space travel for the every-man? Who doesn’t want that?
- The classic tale of good vs. evil, including the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker, who was supposed to be the “Savior” for the Jedi and bring balance to the force, but instead becomes evil incarnate in the form of Darth Vader.
- Flawed heroes who overcome self-doubt and are victorious despite almost impossible odds.
- The force and all the symbolism that comes with it.
- Did I mention Yoda?
I bet a lot of people are going to have Star Wars marathons just prior to the new movie coming out. During these marathons, sustenance will be required. I have put together some of my favorite recipes from Pinterest (that I have actually tried and can vouch for) that would be great at any party, whether attended by Comic Con fans or not 🙂
My kids love these, and they are so easy to dip into salsa and guacamole!
Pizza, but in a cool form where the dough encases the toppings. Super yummy!
Love these! It is so fun to actually have “bread sticks,” and they taste amazing, too!
Seriously, I could eat this every day of my life. I love jalapeno poppers, but they are a lot of work! This pizza comes together so much more quickly and tastes amazing!
These taste exactly like the rolls my mom used to buy from the bakery at the store. They are so great with cheese and deli meats.
Hands down, my favorite salad ever. You wouldn’t think peanut butter goes with lettuce, but it does. Just trust me.
Pumpkin, cream cheese, green onions, bacon, and sugar along with fall spices. Simply divine. Best dip I have ever had.
It’s the age-old question: How can you get any better than chocolate and peanut butter? You can’t. So just give in and make these delectable brownies. Everyone will be begging for more.
What is your favorite thing about the Star Wars movies? Let me know in the comments! And be sure to buy tickets before they get sold out!