If you’re looking for the best Snickerdoodles cookie recipe, you just found it. My recipe has a secret ingredient that keeps these cookies soft for days longer than traditional recipes.
Snickerdoodles. That has to be the best name for a cookie. Whether it’s a corruption of the German word schnekkennudel or just a funny made-up word, it’s so fun to say.
And even more fun to eat. (If you want to get super fancy, be sure to try my Pumpkin Caramel Snickerdoodles).
What makes these Snickerdoodles special?
Most Snickerdoodle recipes include the use of cream of tartar. It gives the cookies a slight “bite” or “zing.”
But what makes my recipe different is the inclusion of sour cream! It’s the secret ingredient that makes them super soft, and keeps them soft for days!
I actually did an experiment where I made a batch with sour cream and one without and then tested the softness over the next few days. The cookies with the sour cream maintained a great texture the whole time and never got hard or crumbly. Win!
How to make Snickerdoodles
Snickerdoodles are great because you don’t have to chill the dough! So you can have cookies, start to finish, in 30 minutes!
You’ll start out making the dough and then scooping it into balls with a large cookie scoop.
Roll the balls gently between your palms, and then drop them into a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
Roll them around until completely covered. Then place them on a parchment-lined or silicone mat-lined baking sheet. (I use silicone mats like these for all my cookie baking).
You’ll want to place them at least two inches apart, because they will spread.
Now just bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for ten minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s it! Perfectly soft, crinkly Snickerdoodles. With the addition of sour cream to keep them soft, you can make these several days in advance of when you want to serve them.
And there you have it. The PERFECT Snickerdoodle.
This recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Soft Snickerdoodles Recipe
If you're looking for the best Snickerdoodles cookie recipe, you just found it. My recipe has a secret ingredient that keeps these cookies soft for days longer than traditional recipes.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Add the topping ingredients (3 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon) in a small bowl or plastic container. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on high speed until light and creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and sour cream and mix on medium. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Add one cup of the flour, the cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix on medium.
- Add the other two cups of flour and mix on low speed so the flour doesn't fly everywhere.
- Once the flour is completely incorporated, turn off the mixer. (The dough will be thick).
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop balls of dough. Release the dough into your hands and gently roll between your palms to smooth.
- Drop balls of dough into the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll until completely covered with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place on cookie sheets at least two inches apart. The cookies will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies should be barely browned on the bottom and cracked on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool for ten minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
I recommend that you either make the dough by hand or in a stand mixer. Don't use a hand mixer, because the dough is too thick and may burn out your motor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Leave a Reply