This small batch chocolate chip cookies recipe is perfect for when you have a chocolate craving, but don’t want to tempt yourself with too many cookies! There are just enough here to share!
Who does not love a great chocolate chip cookie? There are SO MANY different recipes for chocolate chip cookies out there, and honestly, whether they turn out crispy or soft, flat or puffy, there’s really not a lot of ways to mess them up. They’re all delicious!
But if you don’t want to make a huge batch (like my College Chocolate Chip Cookies), or you don’t want to wait to chill the dough (like with my Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies) then THIS is the perfect recipe for you!
This recipe makes eight large cookies, or sixteen small cookies. You can easily make them by hand in a bowl with a spoon. They are perfectly soft and chewy, and there is no waiting required!
How to Make Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
You’ve got all the standard ingredients for chocolate chip cookies here:
Butter, brown sugar, white sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda, flour, salt, and chocolate chips.
The secret is to melt the butter–not completely–but almost all the way. I just do this in my microwave.
Then you mix the butter with the sugars, followed by the egg and vanilla.
Lastly, add the flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
Now you have to decide if you want big cookies, or small cookies.
For big cookies, I use a large cookie scoop and put two scoops together. Then I gently press them together, flattening them slightly on the top.
If you want to make smaller cookies, just use one scoop instead of two.
Place them quite far apart on a baking sheet (I always line mine with silicone mats) and then bake them at 350 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes. (If you’re making smaller cookies, reduce the baking time).
The middles may look a bit under-baked, but that’s o.k. They’ll firm up a bit after you take them out of the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for about five more minutes.
- 6 Tablespoons butter, almost melted
- 6 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together. Stir until blended.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Stir again.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt all at once. Stir gently until all the flour is incorporated. Do not over-stir.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir in.
- Using a large cookie scoop, place two scoops together (one on top of the other) on a silicone mat-lined cookie sheet. Gently press the two scoops together, flattening the top a little. Put no more than two cookies per row, as these will spread quite a bit.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges start to brown, but the centers still look soft.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheets for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.