No vegetable receives universal acclaim like these Roasted Sweet Potatoes. My kids would eat them every day! They are so easy, so healthy, and so delicious!
It’s the age-old question. “What vegetable do I serve with this?”
As a mom, you want to serve healthy foods to your kids. But if you’re like me, you make a “main dish” and then think, “Oh shoot! I need some vegetables!”
Then there’s the question of what vegetables you could make that people would actually eat.
Look no further than these Roasted Sweet Potatoes.
How to make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
First, you’ll want to wash 2 large sweet potatoes.
Next, you can peel them. I suggest doing this if the peel looks rough or marked up.
Lately, I’ve been finding some really nice sweet potatoes (organic ones at Costco) with nice, smooth skins. So I’ve just been leaving the skins on for extra fiber and nutrition! My kids don’t notice or mind at all!
Use a nice, sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes into one-inch chunks. You will have to use some elbow grease. Sweet potatoes are pretty solid!
Put them in a large bowl, and then pour about two tablespoons of olive oil over them.
Stir them up so that all the cubes get coated in a little oil.
Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil, if you don’t have parchment paper). I like to use parchment paper, because there’s absolutely no sticking at all.
Pour out the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet and spread them out.
Now it’s time to add spices! Some recipes I have seen add brown sugar to these, but that is not necessary. They are sweet enough all on their own.
I just give them a good sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
Now bake them at 425 degrees F. for about 35 minutes. I take them out of the oven about half-way through to stir and flip them with a spatula so you can get that nice browning on more sides.
Mmmm. Perfectly soft and delicious! These will disappear faster than any other vegetable–guaranteed!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about two large sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. For extra fiber and nutrition, leave the peels on.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2" to 1" cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the sweet potatoes and gently stir until all the potatoes have been coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Pour the sweet potatoes out onto the lined baking sheet and spread them out.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes, stirring half-way through.
If using aluminum foil, lightly spray with cooking spray before adding the sweet potatoes.
Feel free to experiment with different spices on these sweet potatoes. I can't think of a combination that wouldn't be good!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g