Posts on this blog may have affiliate links. Please see the disclaimer.
You can’t think of Christmas without thinking of peppermint and those ubiquitous candy canes that can be used for so many things. Instant tree ornament. Hot chocolate stirring stick. Reindeer. (Just add brown pipe cleaners for the antlers, some googly eyes and a fluffy red ball for the nose). And if the candy canes get broken, so much the better! Use them in cookies, like White Chocolate Candy Cane Drops, or ice cream! (You knew I was going to say that, right?)
Our ice cream today was inspired by the White Chocolate Candy Cane Drop cookies. This peppermint ice cream has a little something special in the form of white chocolate swirls. And it’s pink. Pink ice cream is so cute, don’t you think?
To make this ice cream, you just make classic vanilla ice cream and add 10-15 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (that is approved for internal use). Or you can use some peppermint extract. Then when the ice cream is almost done churning, you throw in some crushed candy canes and watch as your ice cream turns a lovely pink color. As you transfer the ice cream to your airtight freezer container (like these Tovolo Glide-A-Scoop Ice Cream Tubs that are long and skinny and will fit in the door of your freezer), just layer it with melted white chocolate.
Now you have a beautiful, refreshing treat that is perfect for winter, and any time of the year.
Time Commitment: Low
Health Benefits of Ingredients: (Please see the Disclaimer)
Peppermint has been effective in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome, prevent and treat headaches, and improve respiratory health by acting as a decongestant and expectorant. (See “Peppermint: Health Benefits, Precautions“).
Pure Vanilla activates chemicals in the brain that reduce inflammation and improve mental performance. (See Using Vanilla to Increase Your Mental Performance).
I recommend the Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker.
- 1 c. whole milk
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 10-15 drops doTERRA Peppermint Oil or 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips plus 1/4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. crushed candy canes
- Mix milk and sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Add cream, vanilla extract, and peppermint oil, and mix well.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions.
- While ice cream is churning, crush candy canes. (I put mine in a blender and pulse until finely chopped).
- Put white chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium-low until fully melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- About five minutes before ice cream is done, add the crushed candy canes. Then transfer to an airtight container, drizzling in the melted white chocolate in layers. (Put some ice cream in the container, then drizzle chocolate, then add more ice cream and drizzle more chocolate, etc.) Chill for several hours.