Make these tasty jam bars with oatmeal and chocolate! The combination of fruit with chocolate is divine!
This is one of those super versatile dessert recipes where you can basically use whatever you have on hand! Mix and match ingredients to your heart’s content!
For example, you can use whatever kind of jam you have on hand:
I can’t think of a type of jam that wouldn’t be great in these jam bars.
You can also swap out nuts:
Don’t like nuts? No problem! Just leave them out. Same thing with the coconut called for in this recipe.
How about the chocolate?
Use semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate. You can even use white chocolate!
Want to make this gluten-free?
Instead of regular flour, just sub almond flour, brown rice flour, or any gluten-free flour mix. And make sure your oats are gluten-free as well.
How to make Jam Bars
You’re going to start with a base mixture of flour, brown sugar, baking powder, butter, oats, coconut, and pecans.
You’ll mix that all together until it resembles coarse crumbs, and the press half of it into a foil-lined 9×13 pan.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and then spoon jam over everything.
Now top everything with the remaining crumb mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Now you can use the foil to lift the bars out of the pan and let them cool (more quickly) on a wire rack.
If you’re not in a big hurry, you can let them cool in the pan 🙂
When it comes to these, I’m always in a big hurry.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 cubes)
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 12 ounces raspberry jam (or any other flavor)
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil. Grease the foil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and baking powder.
- Add the softened butter, and use a pastry cutter or two knives in a criss-cross fashion to cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Once the mixture looks like coarse crumbs, add the oatmeal, coconut, and pecans. Mix well.
- Press half of the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Spoon the jam over the chocolate. Don't worry too much about spreading it. It will spread during baking.
- Sprinkle the other half of the crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool in the pan, or lift the foil out of the pan and allow the bars to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares after bars have cooled completely.
You can make this recipe gluten-free by using almond flour, brown rice flour, or any other gluten-free flour mix. Make sure your oats are also gluten free.
Feel free to use different jam flavors in these bars, as well as different types of chocolate and nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g