This beautiful yellow rice colored with turmeric and accented with green peas is the perfect Indian rice for all your Indian dishes!
Some Indian food is hot. Really hot. I know this because my husband went to India and brought back some packaged food for our family to try. We tried it and could not eat it because it was SO SPICY.
This Indian Rice with Peas is NOT spicy. In fact, it tastes just like regular rice, but looks so much prettier.
You also get the health benefits of turmeric. It has been shown to be anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and even help in the fight against cancer and depression. You can read all about the benefits here.
It’s super easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes. Plenty of time for you to finish up your garlic naan bread or chicken tikka masala.
Ingredients for Indian Rice with Peas
Basmati or Jasmine rice
How to Make Indian Rice with Peas
First, you need to rinse your rice. I love this OXO Good Grips Rice, Quinoa and Small Grains Washing Colander.
Then you just add the rice and all the other ingredients to a medium-sized stock pot with a lid.
Turn the burner on to high and bring everything to a boil. Stir occasionally.
Then reduce the heat to simmer and cover with the lid. Leave the lid on for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the pot from the heat, stir in some frozen peas, and cover with the lid for five minutes. The heat of the rice will cook the peas.
Then just serve!
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized stock pot that has a lid.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the contents to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once everything is boiling, turn the heat to low, cover with the lid, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, uncover, and add the 1/2 cup of frozen peas. Stir, then cover with the lid.
- Let the peas and rice sit, covered, for five minutes.