I love a little crunch in my ice cream. A lot of the time, nuts will do the trick, but for those who don’t like nuts (or are allergic) there is another great option. It is a buttery, cinnamony (is that a word?), oaty, super yummy topping that you can either mix into your ice cream, or just sprinkle on top. This goes especially great in fruity ice creams, like my Pear Crumble Ice Cream or my Peach Blueberry Crumble Ice Cream (which you’ll have to wait for, since peaches are not in season). When I mix this in to my ice creams, I only use about half of it. You can sprinkle the rest on yogurt, or pretend it is granola and mix it with milk. It is delicious, no matter how you eat it.
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. oats not instant
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon to taste
- 5 Tbsp. cold salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut butter into smaller chunks. Put all ingredients (including butter) into a bowl and cut with a pastry cutter or two knives until ingredients are mixed and crumbly. Alternately, you can put all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse just until the butter is evenly distributed and the mixture is still crumbly. Be sure not to over mix!
- Press into an 8x8 pan and bake at for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Crumble.