These Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies are soft, sweet, and covered with sprinkles! Super easy to make and the perfect recipe to try with kids. Delightful cookies for Easter, Mother’s Day, class parties, or any occasion!
“Those are the prettiest cookies I’ve ever seen.” That’s what my husband said about these cookies. And you have to agree–they are very pretty. They’re also really fun to make, especially with kids!
For these cookies, I got out every kind of sprinkle known to man. Actually, I just got out what I had in my cupboard and used almost everything up! The rainbow sprinkles, the chocolate sprinkles, the confetti sprinkles, and the colored sugar. I’m all sprinkled out!
But what a wonderful result! I bet these are the kinds of cookies they would have in Dr. Seuss Land–if that were a thing. Or Princess Party Land. I’m just making up “lands” now.
There are so many great things about these cookies. First of all, they are super easy to make. No rolling or cutting! Secondly, they are super fun to make! I mean, who can’t be happy rolling balls of dough in sprinkles? And thirdly (is “thirdly” a word?) they are super soft. I love me some super soft sugar cookies.
Here’s what you need to make them:
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- cream cheese
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- baking powder
- sprinkles (optional, but not really)
Equipment and Supplies for Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- hand or stand mixer (or just your arm and a spoon) (I love my Kitchen Aid Mixer and my OXO Digital Hand Mixer)
- cookie sheets
- baking mats
- small cookie scoop (The OXO cookie scoops are the best!)
How to Make Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- You’re going to cream together your softened butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer (or your super fast stirring arm).
- Then you’ll add your sugar and mix some more.
- It’s time for the egg, vanilla, and almond extract. And yes, more mixing.
- Then you’ll add your flour and baking powder. Your dough will be a little sticky, but that’s o.k. We’re going to chill it for an hour, and that will minimize the stickiness.
- Time to get out your sprinkles! I just poured some in a bowl. (Separate sprinkles in separate bowls).
- Once your dough is chilled, scoop it with a small cookie scoop and then roll the dough in your hands to make a perfect little ball. Then drop it in the bowl of sprinkles and roll it around until it is covered.
- Place two inches apart on baking sheets lined with baking mats or parchment paper. Press them down slightly with the bottom of a glass. (They don’t spread much, so you don’t need to worry about them running into each other).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just browning around the edges. Cool on the pan for two minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
These cookies are perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day, picnics, class parties, and any other occasion you can think of! You’ve probably got everything you need to make these right now! And if you’re looking for a fun recipe to make with your kids, this is it!
This recipe adapted from Easy Sugar Cookies on I Heart Naptime.
Make these super soft, super easy, super pretty cookies today! Perfect for Easter, Mother's Day, and school parties!
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, colored sugar, or other decorations for rolling
Add the butter and cream cheese to a large bowl or stand mixer and beat for about one minute.
Add the sugar and mix for another minute.
Add in the egg, vanilla and almond extracts and blend well.
Add 3/4 cup of the flour along with the baking powder. Mix well.
Add the remaining two cups of flour and blend well. The dough will be sticky.
Cover and refrigerate dough for an hour.
Add sprinkles to bowls (use separate bowls for different types of sprinkles).
When ready to bake, remove dough from the refrigerator. Using a small cookie scoop, gather the dough and then release it into your hand. Roll it with both hands into a ball. Then roll the ball in sprinkles.
Place on a parchment or baking mat-lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all the dough is gone, placing the cookie balls two inches apart. Press each ball down slightly with the bottom of a cup.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
For more delicious cookie recipes, be sure to visit The Cookie Jar.