Use these 10 Brilliant Christmas Organizing Ideas as you clean up this year to make next year’s decorating and wrapping a snap!
“Aww man, I just got all this stuff out!” That’s what I think every year when it’s time to clean up the Christmas decorations and put them away. It’s always a little sad to take everything down, and my house looks kind of empty afterward. But the worst part is trying to get everything to fit back in the boxes they came in, and realizing that next year, I may not be able to find what I want. It seems that every year, things go back in different boxes, so it’s always a surprise (frustration) when we open boxes next year and can’t find what we’re looking for. This year will be different, though. For you, and me! I’ve rounded up these great Christmas decoration organizing ideas to keep everything neat and under control!
1. Let’s start with the Christmas lights, since they seem to be the most troublesome. Many people suggest wrapping these around cardboard or a hanger, but I like this idea from Oh Amanda. Just fold the lights back and forth, alternating the bulbs. Then just wrap the ends around the middle and plug them into themselves, and you are good to go! She’s got step-by-step pictures on her blog, so be sure you go there to see exactly how to do it.
2. Storing the Christmas tree can be problematic. We just bought a new one this year. Each section has its own lights that you have to plug into the next section. We somehow plugged lights into the wrong places and ended up blowing a fuse and having to solve a big electrical mystery to get all the lights to work. If you don’t want to repeat this scenario, or bother with lights at all, how about shrink wrapping your tree with the lights still on and all hooked together! It could work! Check out this tutorial on Epbot to find out how!
3. Extension cords are all over the place during the holidays! We need them inside and outside. Upstairs and downstairs. But isn’t it a pain to unwrap an extension cord, only to find out it isn’t long enough? Solve that problem easily by storing them inside cardboard tubes and writing the length of the cord on the tube! Get this and other storage ideas from The Family Handyman.
4. I love this idea from A’ Casarella for organizing wrapping paper and supplies. So much better than storing bags inside of other bags!
5. From a roundup on Wrapped in Rust comes this clever way to keep ribbons contained and easily dispensed.
6. Wrapping paper! It’s everywhere! Coming unrolled, falling on the floor, being misplaced. Not any more with this great idea from The Chic Site.
7. An over-the-door organizer is also a great way to store your wrapping paper, ribbon, and other gift supplies. This idea comes from Better Homes and Gardens.
8. Want to make sure your wreaths don’t get smashed and broken? Try storing them in trash bags and hanging them up! Learn the tips and tricks at Sew Many Ways.
9. Do you have strings of beads? Keep them from getting tangled up in your other decorations by storing them in water bottles. This idea is from Tip Junkie.
10. Plastic see-through bins are ideal for storing Christmas decorations. Still, you might not be able to see what is in the middle. This is where labeling comes in! You can either go the traditional route and just write on labels or notecards and attach them to the bin. Or you can go high-tech and use Livible Labels. You stick them on your box or bin, then enter the contents into your smartphone. Next time you want to know what’s in the box, just scan the label with your phone, and everything inside pops up on your phone!
Which of these ideas do you like best? I have one more suggestion for you. As you put away your Christmas decorations this year, go ahead and get rid of those old ones you never use any more. There’s no reason for them to take up valuable space! Having less means easier decorating and clean up next year!