This decadent, Chocolate Caramel Toffee Ice Cream just might be the best ice cream you ever have.
Every once in a while you come across something so delicious–so divine–that you know you will never be the same.
This ice cream is about to change your life. Just look at it. Go ahead and stare. Can’t you already taste it? See that smooth, silky caramel, just dripping down? See those sweet, crunchy toffee pieces, just waiting for you?
It’s time to stop waiting, and time to start doing. And by “doing,” I mean “making this ice cream.”
The first thing you will need to do is get yourself an ice cream maker (if you don’t already have one). The only ice cream maker I recommend is the Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker. (If you click on my affiliate link right there, you can get it from Amazon. It’s on sale right now!) I have tried various brands of ice cream makers, and believe me, you want to stick with Cuisinart. You can read my ice cream maker reviews here.
You’ll first make your chocolate ice cream. For this, you’ll use my Classic Chocolate Ice Cream recipe. It consists of milk, sugar, cream, chocolate chips, and vanilla.
Then all you do is drizzle on some caramel sauce and drop in some toffee pieces, and you are golden.
I do need to tell you about caramel sauce, though. You can’t just use any old caramel sauce. If you make your own caramel with butter and cream, it will get hard in the ice cream. But, if you use my Easiest Caramel Sauce Ever, it will stay soft and smooth in your ice cream. I suppose you could use commercially made caramel sauce, but I have never tried it, so I can’t tell you what it would do if it were frozen. If you do plan to make your own, you’ll need to do it a day in advance if you use my Easiest Caramel Sauce Ever recipe. It involves boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk and letting it cool down.
So yes, what with getting an ice cream maker and preparing caramel sauce ahead of time, making this ice cream could possibly take a little time and effort. But boy, is it worth it! You will not be sorry. In fact, you will close your eyes in rapture and barely be able to stop yourself from eating the whole batch. And then you’ll thank me for encouraging you to get an ice cream maker and for making this incredible ice cream. And then I will say, “Can I come over to your house and have some? I’m all out!”
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces bitter-sweet or semi-sweet chocolate broken in pieces (slightly more than a cup of chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- caramel sauce
- toffee pieces you can buy these in the baking section
- In a blender or food processor, add the sugar and chocolate pieces and pulse to process until the chocolate is very finely chopped.
- In the microwave or on the stove, heat the whole milk until just bubbling around the edges.
- Add the hot milk to the chocolate and sugar in the blender and process until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a medium-sized bowl and let cool completely.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla and chill for 30 minutes or longer.
- Add to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container, drizzling in caramel and dropping toffee pieces in layers.
- Freeze for several hours or overnight.