This decadent Chocolate Caramel Brownies recipe will make it into your brownies hall of fame! Rich and gooey, they’re a heavenly treat!
If there was ever a match made in heaven, it would have to be chocolate and caramel. And if you want to make everything even better, just add some pecans or walnuts. Unless you’re allergic to them, of course. Or if you don’t like them (gasp!)
There are two options when it comes to the caramel in these brownies. One is to buy the caramel ice cream topping in the jar at the store. The other is to make your own caramel by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk. I have a tutorial right here on the blog for The Easiest Caramel Sauce Ever. (Seriously. If you can boil water, you can make this caramel sauce).
To make these Chocolate Caramel Brownies, you put half the batter in the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch glass dish and bake it for 20 minutes. Then you remove it from the oven, pour on the caramel and add chocolate chips and pecans (if desired). Then you pour the rest of the batter on top (adding more chocolate chips and pecans if desired) and finish baking for another 35-40 minutes.
Just look at how thick and rich they are!
It’s a sure bet that these will be a hit at every baby shower, picnic, barbecue, and any other conceivable event you could imagine. Or is that inconceivable.
“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Name that movie. They’re bringing it back for a 30 year anniversary October 2017! Can you believe it? Does that make you feel as old as it makes me feel? Oh man, I could quote lines from that movie all day long. So in the comments, tell me what movie I’m talking about and your favorite part. Right after that, go make these brownies, o.k?
This recipe slightly adapted from Gooey Turtle Brownies in the book, Chocolate Never Faileth by Annette Lyon.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup of butter melted (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 12 oz. caramel ice cream sauce or half a can of The Easiest Caramel Sauce Ever
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips optional
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream sugar, eggs, and vanilla
- Add the melted butter and mix well.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the brownies. At this point, you can also add half of the chopped pecans and half of the chocolate chips if desired.
- Pour the remaining brownie batter over the top. Put the remaining chopped pecans and chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake for another 35-40 minutes.
Want more yummy treats? Try these!
(Scroll down for pinnable images from this post).