These over-sized Banana Walnut Muffins are bursting with flavor and are perfect for breakfast or brunch. No worries if you don’t have jumbo muffin tins! You can make regular-sized muffins as well.
Have you ever gotten the huge muffins from Costco? They are amazing and delicious. That’s probably because they really should be called “small cakes.” Because let’s be honest. That’s what they are.
My favorite flavor is the banana nut flavor (always and forever!) I set out to make my own jumbo banana nut muffins at home, and I must say, they were a smashing success! So moist and full of flavor. Perfect for breakfast. I had a hard time eating just one!
Equipment and Supplies for Jumbo Banana Walnut Muffins
Large mixing bowl
Spoon or mixer (I LOVE my OXO hand mixer! It has a spotlight!)
Ingredients for Jumbo Banana Walnut Muffins
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
How to make Jumbo Banana Walnut Muffins
- First, decide if you want to exercise your arm (i.e. stir by hand), or if you want to use a mixer.
- Add your oil and sugar to a large bowl and beat together.
- Then blend in your eggs and bananas.
- Add in part of the flour along with your baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend.
- Add in half of the buttermilk and blend.
- Add the rest of the flour and stir.
- Add the rest of the buttermilk and vanilla and blend.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Fill your muffin cups 3/4 of the way full and bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes.
Tips for making Jumbo Banana Walnut Muffins
- If you don’t have a jumbo pan or liners, you can make regular-sized muffins. Just reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- This recipe only calls for 1/4 of buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can mix 1/4 cup regular milk with 1/4 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for about five minutes.
- My family doesn’t like walnuts, so I just added them on top (so they could easily pick them off). If you do this, you may need to increase your baking time by 1-2 minutes so that the tops get cooked.
Read the recipe below for specific ingredient amounts and instructions. Be sure to pin this for later!
These over-sized Banana Walnut Muffins are bursting with flavor and are perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil.
Add the eggs and bananas and mix well.
Add 1 cup of the flour, along with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
Add 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk and blend.
Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and mix well.
Add the final 2 tablespoons of buttermilk along with the vanilla and blend.
Stir in the chopped walnuts.
Put muffin liners into muffin pan. Spoon batter into the cups, filling about 3/4 to the top. (I like to use a large cookie scoop so I can evenly distribute the batter).
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.