I think my daughter feels the same way. But there are certain cookies she loves more than others, and these Strawberry Chocolate-dipped Cookies are on the top of the heap.
They’re pretty self-explanitory. You mix chopped strawberries into cookie dough. You cook the dough. You dip the cookies in chocolate. The end.
But wait–there’s the eating part. It’s like eating chocolate-covered strawberries with soft cookies added to every bite.
When I was a kid, we had a strawberry patch. We did three things with strawberries:
- Ate them
- Made jam out of them
- Made fresh pies out of them
Actually, when I say “we,” I am only referring to the “eating” part. My mom did the rest. (Although I did help pick the strawberries). Little did I know all the amazing ways strawberries could be used, from salads to smoothies to Jello desserts. Wait. My mom also put them in Jello. I liked red strawberry Jello better than orange Jello with carrots. (Anybody else remember Jello with carrots?)
By the way, did you know that strawberry plants are genetically identical to their parent plants? (That’s some trivia for all you science-y people). I find that fascinating.
Did you also know that cutting up strawberries with a knife is labor-intensive and dangerous? So you’ve probably figured out by now that an egg-slicer will do the job for you. However, if you are like me, the wires on those egg slicers get bent and the hinges break. I have never had an egg slicer that has survived repeated encounters with strawberries.
My sister-in-law gave me an amazing egg slicer with blades instead of wires. It’s the Norpro Mushroom Egg Slicer. It’s heavy-duty metal instead of plastic. I like that! I put my strawberries in my egg slicer twice. I sliced them one way, then sliced them the other way. It made the strawberry pieces the perfect size for these cookies. (Seriously, you should get this egg slicer. You’ll be amazed at what you have been missing all your life!)
If you have strawberries that really need to be used, these cookies are the perfect answer! And if you have chocolate that really needs to be used, these cookies are also the answer! I personally think that chocolate ALWAYS needs to be used 🙂
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2-1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugars and butter for about two minutes.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- Add one cup of the flour, along with the baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the other cup of flour and mix well. Dough should be crumbly. If not, add a little more flour.
- Add the white chocolate chips and mix.
- Add the strawberries and mix.
- Using a small scoop, place cookie dough two inches apart onto a silicone-lined baking sheet, or a stoneware baking pizza stone or other stoneware baking item.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes (longer on the stoneware. The first batch will take the longest).
- After removing from oven, let cookies stay on baking sheet for at least two minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- When the cookies are completely cooled, dip the bottoms into the melted semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
- Transfer to waxed paper and let dry for about 25 minutes or longer.
This recipe adapted from Chocolate-dipped Strawberry Cookies on Wine and Glue.