Now, what you’ve all been waiting for!
Here is a list of the classic ingredients for Pico de Gallo:
Here is a list of the secret ingredients in this superlative Pico de Gallo:
- red onion
- yellow onion
- brown sugar
- red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- lime juice
You’re salivating right now, aren’t you? I know I am. So let’s get to the recipe! Then you can invite all your friends over to try your AH-MAZING Pico de Gallo. Seriously, invite them all over, because this makes a lot 🙂 (You can cut this recipe in half if you like and invite fewer friends).
- 20-25 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3-5 tomatillos, diced (be sure to remove the husks first)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Finely dice your tomatoes. DO NOT try to chop them in a food processor! This will turn them to mush!
- Dice your tomatillos
- Finely dice your jalapenos. I suggest wearing gloves for this. Remove the seeds and membranes if you don't want your Pico de Gallo to be hot. Leave them in if you do. And whatever you do, DO NOT touch your eyes or any other mucous membranes with your hands after you have cut the jalapenos! Otherwise, your eyes and nose will also be hot--for a long time. Don't ask me how I know this.
- Add your diced onions, the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and lime juice.
- Add salt to taste (start with 1/2 tsp., then go up from there if desired).
- Gently fold everything together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.