Growing up, I had no idea there was such a thing as chocolate brownies. I cannot remember a single time that my mother made chocolate brownies. But I remember plenty of times when she made her Butterscotch Brownies (otherwise known as “blondies.”) Over the years, she has tweaked her recipe until it is brownie perfection.
These brownies have chocolate chips and walnuts adding to their delectableness. (Is that a word? No matter. I reserve the right to make up words). Do you know what’s even better about these brownies? My mom makes them with olive oil. I know it sounds weird. But you can’t taste a difference, and you can feel super healthy while you eat them! (At least that’s what I tell myself). My mom has also cut some of the sugar out of this recipe to make it even more healthy-ish.
Try these brownies today! That’s an order! (Just kidding). But really, look at them. How can you resist?
- 1/2 cup butter, margarine, shortening, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, margarine, shortening or oil with sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 9x11 pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Do not overbake! Cut bars while still warm.